Memphis Minnie’s in San Francisco – The Best BBQ
Memphis Minnie’s BBQ Joint and Smokehouse
576 Haight Street
San Francisco, CA
I tasted a bunch of Memphis Minnie’s barbecue at a tech conference this past weekend. I have no idea who Memphis Minnie is,and their website doesn’t say, but I’ve found my favorite barbeque joint in San Francisco, finally. Even better, it was (practically) free. Here’s what I ate:
- Texas Beef Brisket
- Smoked Chicken (drumstick)
- Potato Salad
- Collard Greens
- Macaroni & Cheese
- Corn Muffin
Looking on their menu, this would come to more than $15 (a Two-Way Combo that comes with 2 sides and a muffin, plus extra side). Here’s a quick rundown on the pros & cons:
- The brisket was tender and moist on the inside, crispy toasty on the outside
- The Mac ‘n cheese tasted fresh enough. Maybe that was due to the mac being made with shell macaroni, vs the elbow type
- The corn muffins were baked with just the right amount of browning. The cornmeal is just discernable enough that I was convinced this was made from scratch.
- Oh did I mention I got to eat this practically free at Word Camp??
- The collard greens were sweetly salty (as they should be), but maybe a little too salty. A big caveat here in that I like to eat my meal items all separately, so I can taste everything individually. If I had mixed this in with the muffin or potato salad, it would’ve been fine.
- The drumstick I had was a little dry on the inside, but the skin….perfectly decadent.
I’ve tried Big Nate’s BBQ, and that place on Divisadero. I’m sure there are different styles of BBQ but the one at that Memphis Minnie place got me hook, line, and sinker.