What: All natural, roasted chickpea snack packets for about $2.50 each. Four flavors are sold: Sea Salt, Cracked Pepper, Smoky Chili & Lime, and Sweet Cinnamon.
Who: Made by The Good Bean (they’re in Berkeley, CA)
- This is a healthier alternative to corn nuts. What do I mean by “healthier”? I’m no expert but in reading the labels of a packet of the chickpeas versus a packet of cornnuts, there’s definitely less fat & calories per serving than corn nuts.
- The Sweet Cinnamon flavor was liked by a member of the team who wanted a healthy snack alternative for her kids.
- The Smoky Chili & Lime flavor was most preferred by our unofficial Grubgirl panel of 3 (2 of which are big into healthier snack options)
- Expect the unexpected with the first handful. It’s not going to jarringly crunch like corn nuts or croutons, and can seem a bit mealy/grainy at first. But then you get used to it.
- The Cracked Pepper flavor is indeed, well, peppery. If we had the right ingredients, we’d try this topped on some unsweetened plain yogurt.
- There are 2 servings in one packet, with about 140 calories per serving. One of the healthy Grubgirls observed this. However, chickpeas in general have a lower glycemic index, so consider these as better calories.
- It’s gluten-free. But, realize, so are Kraft CornNuts, so this is really a wash by itself. (Yes, I know some people that have horrible eating habits while still avoiding gluten products.)
Disclosure: I was given samples of this product to taste. Read more about Grubgirl’s disclosure policy.