This is a creative way to make a huge dish that combines the best of lasagne and spaghetti. Thanks to J. Riley, CO, for this winner!
* 1 1/2 16-oz packages of spaghetti
* 8 oz. container of Soft Cream Cheese
* 8 oz. container of Low Fat Cottage Cheese
* 8 oz. container of Lucerne Sour Cream
*2 bunches (1/2 c.) of green onions, chopped
* 1 bell pepper (1 c.), chopped
* 2-4 Tb. butter
* 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
* 1/2 onion (1 c.), chopped
* 1-1.25 lb ground turkey or hamburger meat
* 2 25.5oz jars Mushroom Spaghetti Sauce
* Salt & pepper to taste
Pots & Pans
* 1 9″x13″ lasagna pan
* large quart pan for boiling spaghetti
*mixing bowl for combining the dairy products
* Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
* Cook 1.5 packages of the spaghetti in boiling water
* Make the cheese sauce:
– Combine the cream cheese,
– 3/4 container (~1/2 c.) of cottage cheese,
– 3/4 container (~1/2 c. ) of sour cream,
– green onions,
– and bell pepper. Set aside.
* Make the meat sauce:
– Sautee onions and garlic in butter, on medium heat, until the onion is clear.
– Add the ground meat, and cook until brown.
– Add 1.5 jars of spaghetti sauce, and salt & pepper to taste.
– Continue to stir until sauce, meat, and onions are evenly distributed.
* After draining the spaghetti, layer 1/2 the spaghetti in the casserole dish.
* Put the cheese mixture on top of this layer of spaghetti.
* The 3rd layer is the remaining portion of the spaghetti.
* The 4th and final layer is the meat sauce.
* Bake at 425-F for 25-35 minutes until the meat sauce is bubbling and starting to brown.
Cool for 10 minutes to firm the dish into more of a casserole (but if you can’t wait, you can still dig in!).
Enjoy! And this makes great leftovers….