Who: Nombe Restaurant / www.nombesf.com
Where: 2491 Mission St. / 415.681.7150
What: Dinner at this izakaya (a Japanese word originally describing a drinking establishment that also served small plates of food; think of it here as Japanese tapas)
- Variety for your tastebuds: Share small plates of Japanese and Japanese-inspired dishes, especially if you’re planning a romp in the Mission. There are several food and sake choices on the menu.
- Late-night dining: They’re open later than most restaurants (11pm Sunday – Thursday), and the dark decor (and clean bathroom!) should get you properly prepared for further evening festivities.
Busy Veggie, a friend of mine, is finally sharing her wonderful recipes with the rest of you!
Here’s a video recipe for making some quick Braised Vegan Meatballs, which I have made in advance and it’s kept me nourished during a busy week at work. This could even work as a quick recipe for a vegan or vegetarian date!
The ingredients you’ll need:
- 2 16-oz packages of frozen chopped spinach
- 1-2 t. olive oil
- 1-2 t. soy sauce
- 1 bag of frozen vegetarian meatballs
- 2 c. (about 1/2 bottle) of red wine
Who: Studio Gourmet, a talk show, interview, and cooking demonstration rolled into one.
What: They’ll be interviewing Chef Hoss Zare (of Flytrap – yum!), and the event will also include a cooking demo, live jazz, and a food and wine pairing.
When: Sunday, January 16, 2011, from 2:30 pm – 5:30 pm
Where: Horatius, 350 Kansas Street, (between 16th and 17th Streets) (San Francisco)
Why: Get up close and personal with local chefs and taste the food that made (and makes!) them famous.
In exchange for your email address, restaurant chains will offer some enticing cheap eats bargains for you (usually on your birthday), while also sending you a lot of promotions throughout the year.
- Not worried about giving up your email for some food (I personally have enjoyed the Benihana meal and the Cold Stone Creamery free scoop),
- Live in an area where many of these chains are close by (so you can dine and dash from one deal to another)
- Don’t mind sometimes going by yourself (to get a TRUE bargain…often these places will count on your bringing along a paying companion)